18 July 2008

Holiday in the Sun

We are leaving. We're off to Greece and Turkey!

"What?" I can hear you say, "You're going to Greece and Turkey in July? But Global Librarian, you hate the sun! You hate the heat! Have you lost your mind?"

Yes, I hate sun and heat. Greece and Turkey in July will have excessive amounts of both.

But I love my husband.

A few years ago we stopped giving each presents at Christmas and birthdays. Instead, we travel. At Christmas time we decide together where we are going. But it is each person's choice where they wish to go for their birthday trip.

GLH's birthday is the end of September. With the Maybe Baby due the beginning of October, it is too close to be able to take a trip somewhere. So GL gets his birthday trip now and he wants to go on a Mediterranean cruise from Athens, Greece to Istanbul, Turkey (with side trips to Dubrovnik, Croatia and Sarande, Albania).

I'm slightly concerned about the heat (yesterday it was over 100 Fahrenheit in Athens), but I have been assured by a Greek friend that air conditioning is common so I should be able to cool off when I get overheated. I will not go anywhere without my sunscreen, silk fan and parasol and the interior areas of the ship are all air conditioned.

The cruise we are taking seems to have been custom-made for me. Or custom-made for people who love history.

It is an upscale cruise line with smaller ships (only 500 passengers) which has a focus on history and archaeology. We will be visiting sites dating back to Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome and medieval times. There are local experts (university professors, archaeologists, anthropologists, etc) who will be provide lectures on the ship and the tour guides for our shore excursions have been carefully screened and selected for their extensive knowledge and presentation skills.

Actually, what I am most concerned about is that it will get very hot in Switzerland while we are gone and the apartment will heat up. Not only will that be bad for the cats, but when we get back it will take a while to get the apartment cooled again. But we'll deal with it if/when it happens.

See you again in August!

8 comments:

Pumpkin said...

Have a nice trip! It sounds very interesting. My husband and I love to travel as well and we give trips to an interesting city for birthdays even for the children! Well, they get a small toy too but nothing big. They have too many toys but you can never have too much travel.

Euronewyorker said...

Have a great time and enjoy the intellectual and cultural aspects of the trip ;)

Unknown said...

"yesterday it was over 100 Celsius in Athens" - Um... so it was over 212 Fahrenheit? Wow ;)

Global Librarian said...

Opps! I never was any good with numbers...

But it will feel like a baking temperature!

CanadianSwiss said...

Have a great time! I'm sure you'll love it despite the heat :) We'll be going to Egypt in August, so I'm afraid I won't survive without some kind of portable fan, even though I'm not that sensitive to heat.

Anonymous said...

Unrelated topic - know you enjoy quinoa and just made this (really good), thought you might like it -

----Warm and Nutty Cinnamon
Quinoa -------

1 cup skim milk (or soy milk)
1 cup water
1 cup organic quinoa, (note: rinse quinoa)
2 cups fresh blackberries (or blueberries)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts), toasted*
4 teaspoons honey (or agave nectar)


Combine milk, water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat; let stand covered 5 minutes. Stir in blackberries and cinnamon; transfer to four bowls and top with pecans. Drizzle 1 teaspoon agave nectar over each serving.

Serves 4.

*While the quinoa cooks, roast the pecans in a 350F degree toaster oven for 5 to 6 minutes or in a dry skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes.


Have a great vacation!

Unknown said...

hope you have a very wonderful and cool air conditioned trip!

J said...

You going to Greece and Turkey in the summer has to be the surprise post of the year.

I hope you love Dubrovnik as much as I did.