11 May 2007

Geraniums Abound!

The Swiss are Big on Flower Boxes. You see them everywhere. And more times than not they are full of bright red geraniums.


Some call the red geranium the traditional flower of Switzerland, and the Annual Geranium Market in Bern may be an indication they are correct. Even if they are not indigenous to Switzerland. (They came from Africa originally.)

Our patio has a row of flower box holders. At first I was hesitant to fill them because I don't have a history of keeping plants alive.

But the flower box railing looks very empty without anything in it.

And I was assured that geraniums are very hardy and actually difficult to kill. You just have to keep them watered.

Then I heard that geraniums work as an insect repellent and I decided to give it a go. After all, most European windows do not have screens and ours are no exception. And there are most certainly a number of creepy-crawlies in Switzerland. (On the plus side our cats are finally making an effort to contribute to the household. Both of them have become very enthusiastic and efficient bug catchers. Although I have to admit that the relish with which they eat the bugs is a little disturbing.)

So here they are, my first attempt at growing geraniums...

I've had them for a week. Fingers crossed that I can actually keep them alive!

7 comments:

Impossible Jane said...

It always creeps me out when my cat is eating a bug and it crunches.

GL'sD said...

It's OK GL I've already given them the last rites.

A Librarian said...

You haven't lived until you have seen Spike with a cicada:) Let's just say he is very enthusiastic and proud of himself and his bug.

Global Librarian said...

My own father hasn't faith in my ability to water plants?

By the way, crunching is super-gross. And I think I can live just fine without experiencing Spike with a cicada.

CanadianSwiss said...

Geraniums are actually very easy to keep. I'm sure you'll do well with them :)

christina said...

They look great! If you snap off the wilted blooms at the bottom of the stem and give them lots of water and a bit of liquid fertilizer once a week they'll be just fine.

Unknown said...

hmm - I thought I posted here but oh well...

We got plants! And you were my inspiration. I want Geraneums!!! We have too much shade however...

Time can only tell...

How lovely!