02 February 2007

The Chocolate Tournament

So here is my Chocolate Project.

In a little more than a week GLH and I will be hosting two chocolate tasting events. The purpose is to determine the best chocolate in the Zürich area.

While out and about in Zürich I have repeatedly heard people proclaiming their favorite chocolate is X. At times it has lead to heated debates with passionate statements as to this chocolate is such and such or that chocolate is so and so.

Let's settle this once and for all.

We will be tasting chocolates from the three most popular chocolatiers in the Zürich area. Using a representative sample from each, participants will taste the chocolate and vote on which they like best.

But here is the catch.

In order to ensure that votes are not cast based upon a personal bias, it will be a blind taste test. Participants will not know which chocolate they are tasting. They will pick their favorite based upon the three samples placed before them.

The test will be conducted in 4 rounds. First round will be milk chocolate. Then dark chocolate. Followed by a praline and finishing with a truffle. In between chocolates we will cleanse our palates to ensure that all chocolates are on a level playing field.

Results will be posted on Expat-Experience on February 14th, in honor of St. Valentine's Day. The day on which more chocolate is sold and given as gifts than any other day throughout the calendar year.

But this tasting could be just the tip of the iceberg.

So I call upon my fellow Switzerland-based Bloggers. I hearby challenge you to conduct a Chocolate Tasting of the most popular chocolatiers in your region.

At the end of the year, we could conduct a Tournament of Chocolates in order to proclaim the Best Chocolate in All of Switzerland!

Who will be brave enough to step forward and accept this gauntlet thrown before you?

And if this tournament is successful, who knows where it could lead? Will it be able to determine the best chocolate in all of Europe? In the entire world?

But it cannot be done by one blogger acting alone...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Unknown said...

Hmm - I might have to go out and find some great chocolates here in Vancouver and set myself up to that test also..

But I'm sure some Swiss chocolate is some of the best in the world...

Christmas time is incredible! So is Easter (and window shopping)...

CanadianSwiss said...

Let me know when Basel comes up

Global Librarian said...

Go for it ET. Let me know what is the best Canadian chocolate you find!

And CS, I am not in Basel and I haven't a clue what the most popular chocolates are there. I could help someone set it up, but I owuld need a Basel-based blogger to step forward!