27 October 2008

Say It Ain't So

I have used Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo and Conditioner for years. Since moving to Switzerland, it has become vital. Due to the extremely hard water and dry environment, my hair turns to straw if I cannot get enough moisture into it.

I always buy the enormous liter-sized jugs of the stuff. It's excessively expensive, but then I only have to buy shampoo about every 1.5 years.

Since I was running low, I decided to buy some more before returning to Switzerland. Only to discover Aveda no longer carries it!!!

Now I am experimenting with the replacement for extremely dry hair, a rather unimaginatively called "Dry Remedy Shampoo and Conditioner." It has something called Buriti Oil in it. Never heard of it. Is it as good as Icelandic Moss??? Only time will tell.

And, they don't carry it in the liter jugs, which means I will have to figure out where to buy it more frequently.

Sigh.

I like change. I really do.

Just not when it comes to hair care products...

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Geneva had an Aveda salon. So if nothing else that's only a couple hours away by train... Or maybe now with a baby you'll have grandparents visiting more regularly who can smuggle in several bottles at a time for you.

Global Librarian said...

There are 2 Aveda salons in Zurich. The issue is that, as with everything else, it is about twice the cost to purchase it in Switzerland as to purchase in the United States. And Aveda is expensive enough in the US. More difficult to justify purchasing at twice the price.

People keep telling me that with time I will get over the price shock of Switzerland. Going on two years now. Hasn't happened yet. It still angers me to pay so much more for the EXACT SAME THING!

I don't mind paying more if the quality is substantially better. But not for the same brand and design. That is fiscal stupidity.

Which is also why I am coming back with a huge number of baby clothes through to size 9 months. It should get GB to 6 months old when we go back to finalize the adoption and I can stock up on baby/toddler clothes for the next several size ranges.

The Big Finn said...

I go to an Aveda salon every time I go back to Chicago to buy Aveda's "Be Curly" for Mrs. TBF. I just brought back three tubes of it for her this past week.