27 January 2008

Where's Waldo?: Swiss Version

Can you find the Non-Smoking section in this Swiss restaurant? You may have to look REALLY close...

There it is! That one small, two-seater table. Completely surrounded by tables with ashtrays!

And I am pretty sure that if you asked to smoke there, they would take away the non-smoking sign and bring you an ashtray. At one restaurant, when we asked if they had a non-smoking section, they went to a table in the middle of several smokers, picked up the ash tray on the table and said, "Here. This is non-smoking." And they weren't even being sarcastic.

Sigh. How much longer before smoking is finally banned here? France and Bavaria became non-smoking on January 1st. Hopefully it will come. Eventually.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh...

I really sympathize on this one. My state in Germany is lagging behind other states because the legislators cannot get their act together: everything is smoky here.

Someday it will be better... i hope.

Sara said...

Geneva is voting on it on the 24th of Feb, I have my fingers crossed!!

Twelfthknit said...

yep, I hear ya! It's one of the reasons I'm in love with Starbucks right now.
India

Jul said...

Munich conveniently decided to go smoke-free 4 days before our arrival. Have I mentioned how much I love this city?

Marcy said...

smokefreeplaces.net has listings of non-smoking restaurants in Europe... though I looked up Zurich and there was only 1 place listed. =(

Global Librarian said...

Marcy & India: Here is a website that lists smoke-free restaurants throughout Switzerland: http://www.eat-smokefree.ch. It's not complete, but there are a number of places in all the larger cities. Ticino is not listed because smoking in public places in banned in that canton. So everywhere is smoke-free.

Jul: you have no idea how happy I am that Munich is now smoke-free. Now all of my favorite European cities (Rome, Paris, London and Munich) are safe havens for me!

I know it is only a matter of time. According to a poll last year, 70% of Swiss voters would support a ban on smoking. Glad to hear about the vote in Geneva. It's a move in the right direction!