22 December 2006

Roller Coaster Ride

It's 3 o'clock in the morning. Instead of sleeping peacefully as GLH is doing, I find myself hunched over his work laptop, trying to find the right keys on the too-small keyboard in the half light.

The last week has passed in a rush. Every day has been filled to the brim with last dinners with friends and appointments and hurried telephone calls and always the organizing and purging and packing.

Our lives have been so busy that I have only just realized that we will be leaving our first home together. And that realization is keeping me awake.

I've known that it would happen. But it wasn't until I walked through our nearly empty house that it struck me that tonight would be our last night in our home. And it is likely to be a while before our new apartment in a new city and a new country feels like "home."

Because it is not just the leaving that is keeping me awake, but the arriving as well. Combined with the sadness is a roller coaster of emotion including excitement, anticipation, anxiety and a whirling array of "To Do" Lists.

Hold onto your hats, Girls and Boys, it's bound to be a wild ride...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're sure doing a lot of posting for someone who won't have a computer again until sometime in January.

Global Librarian said...

I said I wouldn't have a computer, as in my own personal computer. Currently it is on a truck waiting to be weighed before it heads for the airport and a flight to Europe.

But that doesn't mean I won't have access to other people's computers. Right now I am using GLH's laptop. Next week I could use GLH's brother's. And the final week before we fly I will have access to Mom & Dad's.

I just won't have time to write as much or as frequently, nor will I have the equipment to upload my photos.

Leave it to my brother to nit-pick while I am pouring out my heart and soul in the middle of the night. Geesh!

A Librarian said...

I already miss you! It is a good thing the GL has to come back so often. I am already stockpiling books for you:)

Unknown said...

I was sort of expecting no internet too, but alas I guess we are all too addicted. ;-)

I'm sure there will be lot of fun in Switzerland. I'd join you in your suitcase..

Oddly, I never really felt like the goodbyes were so dramatic. I did however celebrate my 26th bday at the time with friends, went out had a big goodby party etc. But that was like 5 years ago now... Time flies and yet I'm not back where I started.