06 November 2008

Bring Extra Bags

For anyone planning a trip to the US, here's a bit of advice...

Bring empty suitcases.* Seriously. Then load 'em up for the trip home.

Things are less expensive in the US to begin with, but due to the weak dollar and the struggling economy, things are now unbelievable cheap. We saw stores with sales of up to 75% - 80% off. And the stores were virtually empty and had a huge inventory. (Except Wal-Mart, which was exceptionally busy...)

And hey, shopping gives a little boost to the economy as well!

*Heck, with how cheap everything is, you could also just buy new suitcases for next to nothing!

6 comments:

A Librarian said...

Clearly we aren't going to the same stores. I went last week and spent gobbs of money on cute clothes. Sadly, none of it was on sale:(

Marcy said...

We brought back 1-2 full suitcases with us each time we visited the US.

christina said...

I hear you. We (the four of us) usually bring about six full suitcases with two emtpy ones stuffed inside when we go to Vancouver and when we come back, they're all FULL to the brim. We just made it with the weight allowance over the summer. Less expensive and waaay more convenient shopping - who can resist?

Global Librarian said...

Librarian: You are obviously shopping in the wrong places! The sales I saw were at the major department stores (Macy's, Nordstrom, etc.) as well as the chain stores in the malls (Gap Kids, Gymboree, etc.) You might want to explore other shopping options!

Marcy & Christina: AMEN! Sometimes when I go to the US I take only 3 days worth of clothes to wear and my toiletries (plus chocolate as gifts!) Then I go shopping and wear my purchases for the remainder of my trip.

The Big Finn said...

I brought three empty suitcases, one carry-on, and one Longchamp bag when I went to Chicago a couple of weeks ago. They were pretty full when I arrived back in Basel.

One purchase example: 3 tennis balls in Basel = CHF 18; a box of 48 tennis balls from Costco = about $32 (including tax). After doing the math: the Basel tennis balls are 7.79 times more expensive than the Costco tennis balls.

Chantal said...

Yep, did that on my last trip home. I bought a huge piece of SAMSONITE luggage at Costco for 39.99. Gotta love the U.S.