16 August 2007

Lazy Cats!

Our cats have a very good life.

They spend most of the day sleeping. They get lots of attention and cuddling. They receive three meals a day. We have purchased toys to stimulate their interest and keep them fit and healthy. When we travel our neighbor stops in every day to feed them and play with them so they will not be lonely.

Frankly, it's a dream life.

In return for supporting their lifestyle we ask for one thing and one thing only...

Kill the Bugs!

So when I see our cats idly watch two bugs crawling on the floor, but they decline to move from their comfortable spot to do their assigned duties, it makes me a little irked.

Perhaps we are feeding them too much?

Perhaps they are not "hungry enough?"

Hmm...

5 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I certainly don't think you're asking for too much; my dog holds up her end of the bargain pretty well on this one except when it comes to wasps. But I really can't blame her, I suppose ;)

Btw, I'm an American expat in Italy, and I'm not sure how I found you at this point, but I do see we have a lot of places in common from your sidebar! Looking forward to getting to know you better :)

Impossible Jane said...

Bugs are my cat's vitamin supplements and his excerise routine. He has figured out that the little shed that we store the lawn mower in is full of them. He'll go in the shed, rustle them up, catch one in his mouth and then come out of the shed for a crunchy snack. It's gross.

On the other hand we've started to accumulate bats in our house and I am upset that they damage them. Luckily we've stepped in before the blood bath.

swissmiss said...

I've given up on expecting my cat to eat the bugs. I settle for her pointing them out.

Back when we lived in the farmhouse she did catch a mouse once. I was very impressed, as she's spent her entire life indoors. She's been resting on her laurels ever since....

Anonymous said...

While putting on the addition a couple years aqo the mice from outside moved inside. The first one was discovered by the Ways and Means Committee, and was peeking out from under one of the burners in our stove. She took Henry The Cat and put him on top the stove.

I should note, Henry is known for his hunting abilities. He will frequently leave the remains of birds, chipmunks, small rabbits and, yes, even mice, on our doorstep to prove his prowess.

But when put on the stove to face the mouse, the two of them just stared at each other for a few moments, then Henry turned away and got down.

Apparently, his duties end at the front door.

A Librarian said...

You need a Spike at your house:)