02 August 2007

Close to Home

Yesterday during the height of the evening rush hour a bridge collapsed near downtown Minneapolis. It is a miracle that thus far only 7 have been reported dead, although search and recovery efforts continue.

This hit close to home for me. Not only have I been on that bridge countless times, but two of my siblings (and their spouses and children) live very close to there.

It was a few tense minutes until my sister managed to locate her husband and two children. Fortunately they happened to drive a different way yesterday evening than they usually would. Thank God all my family is o.k.

And I realized that I don't say it enough. I love you all very much.

4 comments:

Impossible Jane said...

I read about this earlier and it plays into my worst fears. There is a bridge that I have to drive under during my commute and I always fear it collasping on me. I don't fear flying as much as I fear me being on a bridge (or under) when it collaspes.

Anonymous said...

In fact, The Ways and Means Committee drives across that brigde every Tuesday at about the time it collapsed. Quite the deal.

It was interesting to watch the coverage of it last night. I'll avoid reference to the TV news people who were obviously delighted to be able to talk about something of this magnitude. It was interesting to watch The Shmunkin as we watched the coverage: Softly asking questions, patiently listening to the answers, and snuggling just a little closer.

Ksam said...

What a terrible accident. I got up at 4am to get a drink and couldn't resist checking my blackberry, where I found an email from a friend telling me she was okay, don't worry. So then I of course got worried and had to get up and turn the computer on to figure out what was going on. And then I got even more worried thinking about my family and the rest of the friends I have there, so needless to say, my night of sleep was shot!

Kirk said...

Glad to hear your loved ones are OK. When I lived in the Bay Area I would occasionally have to drive on a two-level freeway in Oakland, and I remember being stuck in traffic on the lower deck and thinking "I would hate to be here in an earthquake." Sure enough, a few months later the big '89 quake hit and that freeway collapsed during rush hour. I haven't felt the same about bridges and overpasses since.