02 September 2008

Voting from Abroad

Since GLH and I will hopefully be in Minnesota for the US Presidential election (assuming all goes as planned with the adoption), we will not be home when our mailed ballots arrive.

So I did a bit of research and discovered the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

As long as you are registered to vote, even if you do not receive your ballot in the mail you can still print one and send it in.

You can also register to vote via absentee ballot and locate your voting district. You must register to vote at least 45 days before a federal election. As of today, the election is 63 days away.

Pass this link along to other US Citizens living abroad!

2 comments:

Zurich Mama Geek said...

Yep. We finally mailed our voter registration yesterday and will follow up with a phone call next week. We have our write-in absentee ballots ready if we don't receive a ballot in time.

Anonymous said...

I do think you have to have requestedd the absentee ballot and it's only good for the federal elections.

Thank you for posting this. Last election, my ballto never came and my county clerk's office was anything but helpful. I didn't find out about this option until it was in likelihood too late and I called Washington to complain.

(Me:Yeah, my ballot hasn't arrived in Germany. Answer:Ok, well you have to come in person to the court house in person to certify that your ballot didn't come, and then we will give you a new one. Me: Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! )